I
shifted on my chair and got a better grip on my cell phone.
"Tina!
I thought you had decided to move to Istanbul!"
She
chuckled. "Didn't I think about it. Listen..."
"Must
have been fun."
"Yeah,
listen... can I bum a place on your couch for the night?"
This
was weird. "What happened?"
"Nothing,
just... Can I? Would you ask your mother...? Just for tonight..."
"Mom's
away. Yeah, sure, but you're worrying me. Whatever happened Tina?"
"You're
just great! See you in a while!"
And
she hung up on me.
I
stared for a moment at the cell.
Tina
crashing on my couch for the night? I turned and stared at myself in
the mirror. Disbelief was painted on my face.
I
had been knowing Tina since forever. Both only daughters of single
mothers, both more into books and old movies than into boys and pop
stars, we had struck a friendship in fourth grade, and kept going
from there. And now that we were both twenty, we were still close
friends.
I
slipped the Holy Sophia postcard from the mirror frame, and re-read
the "Wish you were here!" scrawled in the back in Tina's
neat handwriting.
The
postcard had arrived last week, but Tina had not.
"She's
staying another week," her mother had told me when I had called
to get the news.
Unusual,
considering what an obsessive planner Tina was, but Josephine was not
worried, so why should I be? And now, Tina was back, and she needed a
place to sleep. This WAS weird!
I
stroked the phone keyboard. Should I call Josephine and get from her
what the heck was happening?
I
was debating the pros and cons of this line when my doorbell rang. I
checked the watch. Less than five minutes. Tina had called me from
her home.
I
opened the door.
Oh, THIS has a lot of potential...I wonder what Jill will find on the other side of the door :-)
ReplyDeleteDo you still plan on having this as an e-book for sale?
YES!
ReplyDeleteIt will be out on Amazon in a few hours, I think.
A friend made me a cover that's simply fantastic, and I really hope a lot of people will enjoy the story.
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi bought and just finished reading this...and it’s GREAT :-)
DeleteLoved the ending, loved the method of transformation, loved the style...loved the whole thing basically and would definitely be interested in more :-)
It does have a few typos, spelling mistakes and grammatical error though, have you got a Proofreader?
Hi, Ron!
DeleteThanks for reading me and I'm so happy you liked it.
I was struck this morning by the idea that theres a sequel hook already in the story, so I'll be writing a sequel ASAP.
For typos etc. - this was a rush job, and I'm already working on an updated file... I do have one proofreader, but she did an ultrafast and not-so-good job.
Let's say there's space for improvement.
I'm thinking of putting out a call for beta readers for the next stories.
Cool, please keep me in mind :-)
ReplyDeleteI will!
ReplyDeleteThank you!