Sunday, June 9, 2019

Work and plumbers

Where am I?
What day is this?
What happened?

No, I'm not coming down from some massive high.
That would have been fine.
It's only the first morning of quiet after what feels like AGES.

Here's another one of my reports.

First of all, of course, there was work.
You can't take ten days off and then land softly.
We had to deal with suppliers, review our stocks,start collecting the bills and paperwork for the taxes, while the whole town, apparently, went on a smoking frenzy (are we the only fucking tobacconist in town?) and we also had to mind the front.
It was heavy.

But something contributed to make it heavier.

May was a cold, rainy day.
And on the night of May the 11th it started raining in our bedroom.
And that was weird because we are on the second floor, and there's an apartment on top of us.
Oh, damn!
Turns out the pipes in the bathroom of the top apartment had burst.
On a saturday nigh, of course.

I could make the usual jokes about plumbers not being as fast and efficient as in porn.



It was not like that.
We had to place a plastic sheet on the bed (the bedroom's to small to effectively move it out of the way), for the next twenty days we had to move to my mother's place for the night, and one of us had to be on the premises during the day, while the workers smashed through the ceiling and sought the leak, and then worked to repair it.
All the while discussing with the insurance, and the upstairs neighbors and what else.
And then we had to clean up the mess, and our place still smells like a chalk pit.

Last night was our first quiet night at home in a long long time.
We just crashed at nine and woke up this morning at ten.
My girlfriend says I'm jinxed.
"I used to have a quiet, boring life before I met you," she said. "But babe, you bring catastrophe wherever you walk."
Like it was my fault the fucking pipes burst.
WTF! We're not even married yet, and already she's nagging!

I'm joking! I'm joking!


As you can imagine, I'm a bit behind with my writing.
But the summer is long. We'll have fun.
I might even write a classic plumber story. As a quickie.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are still alive and well, you were missed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring is no fun, interesting events lead to interesting stories! Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete