OK, so last night my friend D suggested an old movie, and what with being home alone and Halloween and all that, I put it on and watched it.
Note to self: NEVER again watch old horror movies while stoned.
It scared me off my panties, and then I had the most horrible nightmares.
But it also suggested an idea for a story, and today during lunch break I started it.
Here's the start of it...
“House-warming present!”
Sylvia gasped and laughed and took a step back as Michelle walked through the door, staggering.
“What the hell, Shell? You bought me a ping pong table?”
The black haired girl laughed, and put down the large, flat packet she had been carrying, propping it on one of the boxes that cluttered the tiny entrance hall.
“Open it and check for yourself,” she said, grinning, and rubbing her hands together.
Sylvia went to the kitchen and rummaged in a box, and came back carrying a utility knife.
“That looks menacing!” Michelle said.
Sylvia cut the string and slowly unwrapped her gift, careful not to tear the brown paper. “Wow!”
“It’s a beauty, isn’t it?”
They stood in front of the large mirror, and Sylvia ran her fingers on the baroque gilded frame. “This is too expensive!” she said.
Michelle chuckled. “You think I would have bought it if it was? It was a sale.”
She looked at herself in the mirror, turning this way and that. “It’s pretty awesome, uh?”
“It is!” Sylvia conceded. “And it will look great in my bedroom. Come—”
She held the huge mirror up, and carefully turned in the cramped space. “It will be better when everything’s in its place,” she said apologetically.
She went through the door on the right, and into a small bedroom. Michelle followed her and sat on the big double bed. She jumped up and down a little. “Ooh, ready for action!”
Sylvia snorted. “Fat chance,” she said.
She placed the mirror on top of the chest of drawers, and looked into it.
“It does bring light to the room,” she said. She at at the foot of her bed. “And from my bed I can see the front door and into the bathroom!”
“Should a stranger with a butcher knife wait for you there when you go for a pee,” Michelle laughed.
She pulled a pack of cigarettes from her pocket.
“Not in the house please,” Sylvia said. “There’s a small balcony in the kitchen. She turned, smiling, and stood. “I’ll get the drill and the stuff and then we’ll hang this baby.”
She stopped.
"What?" Michelle asked.
Sylvia shook her head. "Nothing. I thought I caught something--in the mirror."
"SA guy with a butcher knife?" Michelle laughed. She put the cigarette between her lips and went to the kitchen. Sylvia cast one last glance at the mirror, and followed her.

Sounds like plenty of potential in this story! Any plans to write any more Coven stories?
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing more, good start so far!
ReplyDelete