Sunday, January 31, 2016

Change of plans: "we should be bad guys"

Some stories demand to be written.

I was having a drink and a smoke, last night, with some friends. We went to this sort of pub, and took a table. And there were these two, sitting at a nearby table, late twenties. "Geeks in love" is what I thought at first.
He was a plain guy, brown hair, a gray hoodie, tall but out of shape.
She sat in front of him: a beautiful face, bright eyes behind her glasses, but overweight and dressed in shapeless pants and sweater.
It was clear they were pretty close, from the way they leaned over to catch each other's words above the din, from the way they looked at each other. Cute.
But it was also pretty obvious theirs was not a celebration. There was sadness, frustration. And then I caught a snippet of conversation.
"You know what's our problem?" she said to him. "Our problem is that we're too good and too proper, always been... had we been bad guys... had I been a bitch..."
He shrugged, and gave her a sad smile. "I always told you, you should be more aggressive."

... And then I went back to talking with my friends, and the two geeks were gone.
But I had this story running in my mind ever since.
Because I'm a romantic at heart, and I love the idea of two geeks in love discovering their bad self and having the time of their life.
So that's what I'm gonna write, and I'll treat it like an incantation, a spell, to help them transform and be happy as the bad guys they wish they were.


This bit of magick will take precedence over everything else.
Watch this space.

1 comment: